Strength in what remains / Tracy Kidder.Material type: TextPublication details: New York : Random House, c2009.Edition: 1st edDescription: xvii, 277 p. ; 25 cmISBN:
- 9781400066216 (acidfree paper)
- 1400066212 (acid-free paper)
- Niyizonkiza, Deo
- Burundian Americans -- Biography
- Immigrants -- United States -- Biography
- Genocide -- Burundi -- History -- 20th century
- Refugees -- Burundi -- Biography
- Immigrants -- New York (State) -- New York -- Biography
- New York (N.Y.) -- Biography
- Medical students -- United States -- Biography
- Dartmouth Medical School -- Biography
- E184.B89 K53 2009
|Item type||Current library||Collection||Call number||Copy number||Status||Date due||Barcode||Item holds|
|Book||Speedway Adult Area||Non-fiction||305.8967 KID (Browse shelf(Opens below))||1||Available||35550431048167|
Includes bibliographical references (p. -277).
Flights -- Gusimbura.
The Pulitzer Prize-winning author Tracy Kidder returns with the extraordinary true story of Deo, a young man who arrives in America from Burundi in search of a new life. After surviving a civil war and genocide, he ekes out a precarious existence delivering groceries, living in Central Park, and learning English by reading dictionaries in bookstores until he begins to meet the strangers who will change his life, pointing him eventually in the direction of Columbia University, medical school, and a life devoted to healing.